Re: [linux-users] realplayer: "user permissions to update"

  • To: <linux-users@lists.man.ac.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [linux-users] realplayer: "user permissions to update"
  • From: "Roy Schestowitz" <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 09:09:55 +0100
To: <linux-users@lists.man.ac.uk>
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 12:15 AM

> Hi Folks,
>
> When RealPlayer is started up automatically from my (mozilla)
> browser (e.g. on BBC website) I get the message
>
>   "You do not have the necessary user permissions to
>    enable AutoUpdate. Please contact your system
>    administrator for more information."
>
> I am the system administrator and I have contacted myself,
> but I do not know how to help. Can anyone advise me what
> advice to give myself?

I am pretty sure that you can disable auto-update. The only problem is that
you will need to manually install the latest version of RealPlayer, at least
once in a while. Apparently the BBC feeds require that already. Are you
logged in as root when you start RealPlayer?

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com