Re: [lists] Re: [wp-hackers] Spam results

Jeff Barr wrote:

I am getting lots of good reports on my simple "Turing Test" system:

http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/index.php?p=103

I simply prompt for my first name, and verify that it is there. If not, I issue a simple message.
The user (if they are not a comment spammer) can simply press Back and try again.

The only problem I see with this system is that it forces the users to enter a non-related piece of information to prove they're not a robot. I think that more sophisticated methods would check the client "in the background," transparently. You could imagine testing for keyboard and mouse strokes, or a client-side computation in flash or jscript, or any number of inobtrusive things.

Thanks,
Elliott C. Bäck