Ubuntu Linux

  • To: r@schestowitz.com
  • Subject: Ubuntu Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2005 04:56:32 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 04:56:41 +0000
The distribution/s of Linux one tries make a considerable difference. If a Mac
OSX user hasnât revealed any gains from Linux, then something must have gone
amiss.

Comment by Roy Schestowitz â Saturday January 8, 2005 @ 5:32 pm

Try Ubuntu when you try a linux desktop this year.
I have the CD's and I tried the live version. It was disappointing when it
comes to the amounts of pre-installed software.

Itâs a refreshing change and a professional distribution. It has good hardware
support, and it uses apt.
Yes, it's fairly trivial to install and very hardware-compatible. A friend of
mine failed to have his sound card recognised though.

Thereâs guaranteed updates for 18 months, and there will be a new version of
the OS released every 6 months. Its use of gnome makes things fresh from the
userâs perspective, and I think it fits your UI philosphy (keep it simple)
perfectly.
See... I'm hooked on KDE and I could not compromise for less. Unless you play
games or run experiments (and I do these remotely, via SSH, on idle
machines), you should let the CPU use up its full capacity, for your comfort.

Let me know if youâd like me to mail you the âofficialâ Ubuntu CDs, which I
got shipped to me for free. After trying linux desktop once a year, like you,
I finally settled on this, and have everything running on it - home desktop,
work desktop, and laptop.
You can't try Linux once a year. You have to <b>adapt</b> to it. If you try it
for a day, or a week, or a month, you will not gain sufficient familiarity
with it. You will then keep thinking: "I used to work more quickly with my
old O/S".
--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com/