Re: [wp-hackers] 1.5.2

Quoting Scott Merrill <skippy@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Each time it appears as if the final ("Grand") update has come around and yet
another one comes around and demands attention.

Software will never be "complete".

I was referring to minor releases -- (in)significant bugs fixes if you like. As
PHP packages like WordPress are eying 1.6, phpBB eye version 3 and Gallery
await version 2 (now a Release Candidate), there is this type of 'trail' of old
fixes lagging behind. It is always best off avoided.

As yet another example, take Mozilla Firefox. The team lost a lot of motivation
and momentum after the series of 1.0.1-5(6?). There was supposed to be a
released of 1.1 in July this year (in accordance with the roadmap as of May),
but it was conceded due to complications. 1.5 will be the next release as a
consequence < http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/roadmap.html >.

To be a little strict, some software can actually be "complete", but it tends to
be simple software where the specifications can be described mathematically or
analytically. Then, there is just the issue of fidelity, but this can be
considered as a separate project.

The only big pro I can think of are people installing WordPress for the first time.

There are a lot of niggling bugs in 1.5.1.3. Each WordPress upgrade has been _painless_ for me, and I'd venture for most other folks, too. It's not too hard to download, run upgrade.php, and enjoy all the new bugfixes.

It has been very painless because you are familiar with WordPress. Some people
had somebody else install WordPress for them. FTP or running a PHP file (as
opposed to hitting an icon in the bookmarks) is a daunting task to a proportion
of the user base.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com