Applying Changes to All Files in All Subdirectories

  • To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Applying Changes to All Files in All Subdirectories
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:16:40 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:16:41 +0100
I am faced with a problem which has probably been dealt with many times before.
I have a list of hundreds(ish) of directories
(12082005,13082005,..,01092005,...) and each contains about 20 items. I need to
use a tool that applies an operation to all files in /one/ given directory.
Since the tool is mounted onto a GUI, I cannot embed anything in a script.

Here is once approach I had in mind: I would like to 'flatten' the directory
structure, allowing me to apply the changes in 'batch mode' and then returning
all files to their original sub-directories. Is this somehow possible to do?
Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I am looking for a
long-term solution that will not require a lot of manual intervention.

Many thanks for any advice,