Bcc

  • To: Hidden <r@schestowitz.com>
  • Subject: Bcc
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:09:30 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 17:08:58 +0100

On Wednesday 06 April 2005 16:59, you wrote:

> Now with that out of the way, I must ask: Since Bcc.. is supposed to
> conceal other recipients, how do you ascertain that the message was sent to
> you in that category?

If a message reaches me and I am listed neither in the "To" field nor in the
"CC" field, it can be safely inferred that I was BCC'd. The other possibility
to consider is mail forwarding, e.g. if the message was sent to roy@gmail.com
which somehow 'relayed its way' to r@schestowitz.com

>  I would like to have the ability to do that or perhaps so few people use
> it, that I have hardly ever gotten any e-mail so designated and therefore
> have not even had a chance to recognize it.

I think you can always send a message to various people one by one. You then
risk the fact that they might know you fooled them. It is impolite to mass
mail while disguising it.

However, to finish this discussion, most people will fail to observe (or have
sufficient insight) to know when they have been BCC'd. So, keep up the good
work, but somehow inform when a message is impersonal or semi-personal.

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com