MATLAB and Open Source

  • To: Roy Schestowitz <r@schestowitz.com>
  • Subject: MATLAB and Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:23:26 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 22 May 2005 11:27:28 +0100
From Slashdot

I Always Write my MATLAB Open Source (Score:5, Interesting)
by schestowitz (843559) on Sunday May 22, @02:37AM (#12602744)
(http://schestowitz.com/)
All my MATLAB code is Open Source. And I am the most popular author (jointly
with Luigi Rosa) this month.
http://www.mathworks.nl/matlabcentral/reports/file exchange/top10Authors/
[mathworks.nl]
--
Roy Schestowitz, schestowitz.com [schestowitz.com]

Re:I Always Write my MATLAB Open Source (Score:5)
by deego (587575) Alter Relationship <deego@nOsPaM.gnufans.org> on Sunday May
22, @03:35AM (#12602947)
(http://gnufans.net/)
newsgroup gateway through gmane.

            Re:I Always Write my MATLAB Open Source (Score:5)
            by cahiha (873942) Alter Relationship on Sunday May 22, @07:44AM
(#12603670)
            Octave compiles and runs fine on SuSE. And you can almost
certainly get it as an RPM package. Octave is as mature as it's going to get.

            However, Octave's MATLAB history is limiting it anyway. Why not
write for Scientific Python? That is the real open source alternative to
MATLAB, with a big user community and many features that MATLAB lacks.

Re:I Always Write my MATLAB Open Source (Score:1)
by schestowitz (843559) on Sunday May 22, @04:00AM (#12603018)
(http://schestowitz.com/)
I love the idea of running my code in an Open Source environment. I have just
given Octave a shot, but it refuses to compile on SuSE.

Octave might need to mature further before it is becomes a practical
replacement to that clumsy resource hog called MATLAB.
--
Roy Schestowitz, schestowitz.com [schestowitz.com]

why not create something more enduring? (Score:5)
by cahiha (873942) Alter Relationship on Sunday May 22, @07:53AM (#12603689)
I'm not sure why writing open source code for a platform that is so completely
closed and hugely expensive is a badge of honor. It's like doing "volunteer
labor" for poor starving Donald Trump. Right now, you may be getting MATLAB
cheap as a student, but have you looked at the prices you have to pay for it
in the real world?

Furthermore, while MATLAB is a tolerable language for numerics, as a
programming language, it is horrendous. I would not want to hire someone who
spent most of his time programming in MATLAB.

Why not devote that energy to writing and contributing Numerical Python
[python.org] code? Numerical Python is free and it's a far better language
than MATLAB. Numerical Python does not have quite as many numerical modules
as MATLAB yet, but it beats MATLAB hands down in the availability of other
libraries (GUI, visualization, plotting, parallel computing, networking,
etc.).

Even better, you actually have a prayer of being able to use that code after
you leave the university; MATLAB is simply too expensive for many
environments.