Re: [GUG] Gimp version

  • To: gug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [GUG] Gimp version
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:53:47 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:53:50 +0000
_____/ On Wed 09 Nov 2005 13:23:35 GMT, [Derek Wiid] wrote : \_____

Hi,

Would some patient person please tell me what the latest verion of Gimp is (not Gimpshop).
I have installed ver. 2.2.9 over 2.4 I think, unless it was ver 2.2.4. Also what the !!! is a tarball,
tar gz and all the other abbreviations one finds on download sites. Bit of a maze for someone
who isn't a programmer or developer. What file do I need to get latest Gimp.

Thanks,

Derek

You can find it all in:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Versions may vary slightly across platforms, but the latest stable version
is  said  to be 2.2. Although 2.3.x and 2.4.x exist, I imagine  that  they
provide  an insight into the latest of the GIMP. They are not most  recom-
mended for download and are rarely pre-packaged with a Linux distribution,
for example (SuSE put an OpenOffice 2 beta though).

As  you might frequently find in Open Source software, there is active de-
velopment  and some people are curious to try the nightly builds. There is
nothing to prevent users from using software that is not of the latest re-
lease cycle as it's open.

By the way, the third among the numbers (there are different terminologies
assigned  to these numbers) is not very significant so 2.2.4 and 2.2.9 are
probably  quite similar. 2.4 is probably one of the latest builds, but you
risk facing bugs if you install it.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com