Re: [xmms-devel] Development status

  • To: xmms-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [xmms-devel] Development status
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:47:17 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 14:47:20 +0000
_____/ On Thu 03 Nov 2005 16:42:47 GMT, [Eric Fikus] wrote : \_____

So it's been some years since a new version of xmms was released, but
the xmms2 post on the home page insists that xmms is not dead.  There
is a nice page showing which features will be in the next release but
I think even that is more than a year old.

Is there a todo list for getting out a new stable version?  Can
somebody impose a freeze and set a target date?

I've always liked xmms and I'm not fond of any of the newer music
players.  For myself I'm happy to use cvs but I hate to see xmms
stagnate in this way.

Regards,
Eric Fikus

I must second that. XMMS is a rich application with attractive skins and many valuable extensions. It is also very easy-to-use and stable (unlike the application I will refer to below).

I have used XMMS for years, but recently I bought another machine which happened
to have AmaroK pre-installed. Ever since that day, I cannot help but feel that
XMMS leaves me behind. AmaroK uses extensions from XMMS, it is *not* stable,
but its management of playlist is astounding. Lyrics and album cover are just
few among its many astounding capabilities, so I hope XMMS development is
brought back to life.

I still use XMMS endlessly, but I have seen the neighbour's garden and it is
slowly getting greener. Since AmaroK is integrated with KDE, XMMS might soon
become the GNOMErs choice. Having said that, I don't know what implication
SuSE's recent move to GNOME will have.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
 2:40pm  up 7 days 10:38,  4 users,  load average: 0.16, 0.33, 0.44