Re: Am I shut out because of my windows flavour??

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Am I shut out because of my windows flavour??
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:45:47 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:45:47 +0000
_____/ On Tue 22 Nov 2005 00:30:59 GMT, [Brian Lunergan] wrote : \_____

Evening all:

I have been reading the material on LyX136 and I've got a concern over
one of the listed bugs. It suggests Win98 and Lyx don't get along. I use
Win98se on an 800mhz AMD machine, and do my downloading through a 56k
dialup connection. Am I shut out from using LyX, or have I misread the
notes?

It seems puzzling when MiKTeX and some of the other required software do
give the impression that they get along with Win98 just fine.

Any thoughts or opinions??

For several years I have been using LyX ~1.3.4 on a Windows 98 (Second Edition) laptop with 32MB of RAM and a 400mhz AMD processor. Neither LyX nor MikTeX have ever given me a hard time. Compilation time was decent and LyX was rather stable and responsive.

If  you  experience trouble with installation of version 1.3.6, I  suggest
you  fall back to older versions. It is more or less guaranteed to work. I
should point out that I was using the unsupported Windows port of LyX (was
the  author's  name Klaus?). I installed it on other Windows machines  and
all was successful.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
 5:45am  up 19 days  1:39,  7 users,  load average: 2.32, 2.42, 2.53