Re: increase size of figure and table captions

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: increase size of figure and table captions
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:47:43 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Dec 2005 10:47:47 +0000
_____/ On Mon 05 Dec 2005 03:41:04 GMT, [Matthew.Kelly] wrote : \_____

Hi all,

I apologise that this is a trivial question that would probably be answered with just a little digging.

One of the examiners of my thesis decided that the figure and table captions were too small, so I was wondering what the best way of making them bigger. Currently they are the same font size as the text. If there is no easy way I will just spend the same time making up a reason that this is the appropriate size for captions.

Matthew

Hi,

Captions  should usually be smaller than standard text and most  templates
enforce this. Yet, anyone who makes a big fuss over it is most likely dis-
tracted by unimportant detail. Either way, the naive solution:

* Highlight the caption text

* Go to the Layout menu item

* Open the "Character..." window

* Change size to "Small" or "Smaller"

* Press Apply/OK

If  you built your document in a way whereby captions can be distinguished
from  text (perhaps a float caption), then you can modify the style appro-
priately  in the Preamble. LaTeX is not a strong skill of mine, so I can't
give  you  a snippet of code. This rids you from the need to  change  many
captions repeatedly with the risk of forgetting to change a few.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Viruses to Linux is like cancer to a shark
10:45am  up 5 days  8:12,  4 users,  load average: 1.59, 1.73, 1.78