Re: Fwd: PDfs from Linux have nasty fonts

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Fwd: PDfs from Linux have nasty fonts
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:29:31 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 10:29:37 +0000
_____/ On Wed 07 Dec 2005 10:12:24 GMT, [Andres Becerra Sandoval] wrote : \_____

On 12/7/05, John Pye <john.pye@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi there,

I use the Lyx pdflatex option to produce a PDF of my thesis-in-progress.
When I view the PDF in Linux (I'm using standard FC4 packages, evince
4.0.0 is the PDF viewer) the characters in the (standard) font looks
slightly bunched up. When I view the same PDF in Windows (Acrobat 4.0)
the fonts look OK at high levels of zoom, but at normal two-pages-on-a
screen zoom, the fonts are almost illegible. And when I print out the
document from Windows, the fonts look rather jagged.

I've got PDFs from other Linux / Latex users which have fonts that look
fine.

This seems to be a very common problem with PDFs produced on Linux which
are then used by Windows people. Is there a known solution? I've tried
to find information on this but haven't seen anything relevant. I can
send screenshots if you need.

It really is a latex default fonts issue, see: http://wiki.lyx.org/pmwiki.php/FAQ/PDF

for the question "The fonts are bad in the exported PDF, what can I do?"

Another suggestion:

Install  Acrobat  Reader 7 on your Fedora workstation. Version 5  was  the
latest available until a few months ago, which was a pain and an eye sore.
Adobe stopped the negligence though.

I am using KGhostView on under SuSE 8.1 and the fonts /always/ look coarse
when I view PDF's. Why KGhostView? It was there by default. I still use it
because PDF's can be opened almost instantly. I don't know evince 4 unfor-
tunately, but I imagine that the problem could be similar.

When I need a clearer picture (not just fonts are coarse), I open the same
file  using  Acrobat Reader, which is the secondary application among  the
file associations. Oddly enough, yesterday I discovered that if I SSH from
a  Ubuntu  box  to this very same computer, the issue is gone.  If  I  use
KGhostView  to view PDF-formatted documents remotely, all fonts are crisp.
Therefore, I can only assume that fonts which are installed with your dis-
tribution play a role.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: 85% of plant life in in the oceans
10:20am  up   7:31,  4 users,  load average: 0.64, 0.68, 0.64