Re: [wp-hackers] Caching of numbers of comments?

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Caching of numbers of comments?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:43:44 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:43:46 +0000
_____/ On Thu 22 Dec 2005 15:53:51 GMT, [Peter Westwood] wrote : \_____

On Thu, December 22, 2005 1:25 pm, Sebastian Herp wrote:
Hello list,

wordpress 2.0 RC3 seems to cache a lot of things. Does it cache the
number of comments returned by the "comments_number"-function? Because
that number seems to be displayed wrong in several postings. Why exactly
does this need caching or is this bug not related to the cache?

Example:
http://www.sebbi.de/archives/2005/12/21/premiere-weg-vom-fenster/
The function currently returns "5 comments" while I definetly see 6 ...

Comment Count is stored in the db against each post to save on queries for the front page. (New in 2.0)

I suspect you are running a comment processing plugin that die()'s inside
the hook like Spam Karma 2 does (The fix for which is here -
http://lair.fierydragon.org/2005/11/sk2-wp2compatibility/)

westi

Someone in the forums had all comment counts set to 0. There were comments
therein, but they weren't visible to the index. This was raised last night, but
I should point out that the site in question was a recent import from another
CMS. WP2 RC3.