Re: [wp-forums] Why the 404's ?

  • To: wp-forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-forums] Why the 404's ?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:44:37 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 09:44:38 +0000
_____/ On Wed 28 Dec 2005 07:57:11 GMT, [Podz] wrote : \_____

36 hours or more after the 'hang on half an hour' change and I STILL get
404's. Far far far too many.
New code, screwed forums, screwed codex.
I am beyond amazed at this debacle.
I also have to say that this gives the lie to the pre-Christmas launch.
I stand by what I said - both in the light of the obvious code problems
and in the site problems. It should all have been delayed until a time
it was both ready AND when everyone was in the right place.

P.

To give a more optimistic point-of-view:

*  Many  people openly express satisfaction with WP2.0. It's rare to  hear
from people about the good experiences. Forums tend to pull only those who
experience  problems. Only negativity gets amplified. Given the number  of
new threads and the total number of download, all seems all right.

* The site's CSS finally distinguishes visited from unvisited links (using
the bold face). This relates to yesterday's suggestion where I arbitrarily
set 'visited' to black colour. I should point out that bold/normal changes
are notorious as they are making the rendered pages jumpy. The purple-blue
convention is often preferred.

*  Use  tabbed browsing to get past the issue of 404's. You'll  reach  the
stage when you no longer mind them. Having said that, I don't know how er-
rant visitors feel about it. A CMS reflects poorly on reliability when its
very  own site cannot handle simple requests. I know I'm stating the obvi-
ous, but overall, some rants seem to be bloated beyond proportion.