Re: Install problem

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Install problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:25:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 06:25:55 +0100
_____/ On Wed 07 Sep 2005 20:27:03 BST, [Bennett Helm] wrote : \_____

On Sep 7, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Rob Managan wrote:

I got a new computer and installed LyX and TeTeX on it as described (at least I think I did) I used the i-installer for TeX and the related packages and the 1.3.6 .dmg for LyX. I am running OSX 10.3.9.

When I open an old LyX document I get a dialog that says:

Textclass error

The document uses a missing TeX class article
LyX will not be able to produce output.

Any clue as to what I messed up?

It sounds as if, quite evidentally, the class 'article' cannot be located
(either existence or paths to blame). I have an installation of LyX on SuSE
that broke over time so no matter what class I choose, it is always said not to
have been found. Luckily, I still have a fully-functional Fedora installation of
LyX.

I suggest that you try to change the class of the document under Layout ->
Document. Do you still get the same error? To isolate the source of the error,
it would be valuable to try this.

Are you sure teTeX is installed correctly? (Can you compile documents with article class from TeXShop, for example?)

Is LyX's PATH prefix set correctly? (LyX > Preferences > Paths > PATH Prefix -- should be set to:

/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin- current:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sw/bin:/opt/local/teTeX/bin

If that's all ok, try running Edit > Reconfigure, quitting LyX, and relaunching. Does that work?

Bennett

I concur with Bennett on that one. All good suggestions.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Avoid missing ball for higher score"
 6:20am  up 14 days 10:27,  4 users,  load average: 0.49, 0.73, 0.63