Re: [wp-hackers] Referrer Spam [s]

_____/ On Tue 11 Oct 2005 18:14:33 BST, [Amit Gupta] wrote : \_____

Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
|  ...let alone have any access to a console for their /own/ account/s
|  (unless they
|  use cron jobs as a workaround).

some hosts provide SSH access on their shared hosting plans & some
provide it
for reseller accounts.

Not my host *frown*. Consider yourself to be fortunate if you are allowed
SSH/Telnet access. The best I can ever do when wishing to invoke commands is
use
tricks < http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/
.

but I don't think that would cut it though, since
it requires
fiddeling with the server's firewall rules & that won't be allowed &
even if you manage
to do it, its a likely bet that you'll be kicked out by your host pretty
soon after
your feat!! ;)

I could possibly ask them to do that as they are quite kind. It all depends on
how many tickets they have open at the time.

|  Dougal, I read about SpamValve and I appreciate your suggestion. As
it's the
|  first time spam of that scale hit me (peaking at over 200 MB of
dynamic
|  content
|  per day), I decided to just re-direct to a forbidden (code 403) page.
This has
|  worked for over a day.

Bad Behavior does something similar, but instead of redirecting to a 403
page,
its simply uses the die() I think!!

Judging by the logs tonight, my main domain wind up serving 8000 requests for
403.shtml yesterday. Had the redirection not been in place, gigabytes of
on-the-fly traffic would have gone wasted. All the referrers are Tonga domains,
but none is a Tonga IP address. Make you wonder, eh? Those bloody spammers have
slowed down crawling by search engines, I suspect, not to mention destroyed
logs and made statstics virtually meaningless. Is there anything the spammers
would not ruin? Even the manual intervention makes it all a PITA and this
continues to get worse by the day.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Stand for nothing and you will fall for anything"
 2:30am  up 47 days 14:44,  3 users,  load average: 1.61, 1.24, 0.97