Re: Unexpected problem for a document with a lot of pages

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Unexpected problem for a document with a lot of pages
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:28:29 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 10:28:30 +0000
_/ On Mon 06 Feb 2006 19:20:58 GMT, [Horacio] wrote : \__

Hello all,

I use LyX 1.3.5 in suse 9.0. I'm writing a scientific document that will have around 200 pages or more, with a lot of equations, figures and tables.

One month ago there was no problem for my to work with the document, although it took some minutes to "render" the document to PDF (using option View ---> PDF). So after I considered the possibility to work with different files for every new section of the document because in this way it would be faster the individual compilation. I added the new lyx files into the big document using the option "Insert--->File", and selecting after "External" or "Include", indifferently. Using this method each new section was written very fast, because I could compile only these part and see the changes. After I had included 4 new sections (4 new files) I tried to compile the whole document with no problem, but it took a lot of time, more than an hour. Anyway I continued working, but my problem now is that I have 10 new section and the compilation of the document is not feasible. Last weekend I left my computer compiling during 2 days and today it was already working in it !!

I've tried with "View--->DVI", but it takes also a lot of time. I've searched for info in the lyx mail list, but nothing related with my case.

Later I've done a test; I've removed all the "includes", so the document doesn't has to "load" the external lyx files, and in this case the compilation was OK and it took some minutes. In other test I've created a new empty lyx document and I've added the 10 sections with the "Insert--->File" option, and in this case the document was compiled on one minute !!!

So now I'm blocked and I don't know what to do. Maybe there is a bug with lyx or I think that as I use a lot of different figure formats (jpg,bmp and eps) the program can't handle this, but I don't think so; lyx is announced capable of working with very big documents. I've also observed that telling lyx not to use the "temp" directory, sometimes the compilation is faster, am I right ? Using a temporary directory makes the compilation of a document slower ?

Could somebody help me ?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I  once used LyX to compile a 200-page report, which contained many  (~40)
detailed  figures in encapsulated PostScript format. The whole beast  took
about  1-2 minutes to compile and view as PDF. What hardware are you  run-
ning this on? At later stages, I considered running LyX remotely (via SSH)
on idle computational servers and I now do so exclusively.

Is  the  separation into multiple files (a notoriety attributed  to  bloat
like  page-preview-on-the-fly  WYSIWYG) not conflicting with  TOC's?  What
about  the need to search the entire document (all chapters at once)? I am
not  criticising  your choice, but I think you might  be  overcomplicating
matters for yourself.

If the primary issue is LyX grinding to a halt (getting locked) throughout
compilation, consider workarounds like multiple sessions of LyX or editing
the commands to enable pipelining ('&' in *nix).

To  digress,  let us think of some workaround. Choose not to generate  and
revierw  every small change as you go along because it is  time-consuming.
Iterate  entire  pages  instead. If it helps, open a small  new  document,
write  the  necessary bits in isolation and view as DVI. When happy,  copy
and paste to large document.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz
10:20am  up 22 days  5:36,  12 users,  load average: 0.30, 0.35, 0.35