Re: [linux-users] New NeSS Website -- and Linux!

  • To: linux-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, main@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [linux-users] New NeSS Website -- and Linux!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:54:38 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:55:10 +0100
___/ On Fri 12 May 2006 12:27:05 BST, [ Iain Roberts ] wrote : \___

(Ted Harding) wrote:
Hi Folks,

Inspired by a TYV report this evening on the Govt's new
"Neighbourhood Statistics" website (aka "NeSS"), I just
gave it a try:

  http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk

Can any of you get it to work with a browser supported
by Linux?

Even with popups enabled for this site, my Firefox doesn't
cut it. Nor Mozilla.

Coincidentally, the very same topic was raised in a couple of newsgroups
last night:

http://message-id.net/<ecv662hel8kppbvuhl1i744tihge3md8fh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It generated a relatively extensive discussion (browse follow-ups).

Firefox 1.5 on SuSE 10 works fine for me.

Works fine in Firefox 1, but warns me that I need to enable JS (which I will
not *smile*).

They've obviously given some thought to standards as the "Thematic map"
tab says

"To view this map, most users will require a special piece of software,
compatible with the emerging SVG graphic format. We recommend the  free
SVG Viewer by Adobe, available for Windows, Mac and other operating systems.

Users of Windows NT, 2000 or XP may require the assistance of their
systems administrators to install Adobe SVG Viewer. Users of Microsoft
Internet Explorer (IE) for the Mac will not be able to access this
interactive map, due to issues with IE itself.

SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) is a relatively new data format, which
combines the benefits of Flash with the flexibility of XML. SVG is
recommended as a 'Web standard' by the World Wide Web Consortium.

That site could be perceived as pathetic. See the thread above. It's nowhere
near standards-compliant.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
12:45pm  up 14 days 19:42,  10 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.97, 0.81