Re: The importance of names

Peter H.M. Brooks wrote:

> It is consequently puzzling to me when I hear of people landing their
> children with obviously daft names. Are they simply unaware that it is
> cruel to give their child the name 'Apple' (the most recent silly name to
> come to my attention)? Children can, when old enough, change their names,
> so it isn't something that will last for ever, but, by the time they are
> old enough to do that, most of the damage has already been done.

That's an exaggeration. There is far more than just the name to affect a
person's life. People tend to judge one another primarily by appearances,
voice and the like (as unfair and superficial as it may seem). Names,
however, play a major role when they are the sole identifier of a person,
as is usually the case in the age of information technology.

Unless you call your child Rasputin or Adolf I don't think this issue is
worth elaborate discussions...