Re: Working in All Except Mozilla (Firefox)

Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Here is a problem I have not managed to solve for months. I have some
>>> JavaScript which works properly in all the browsers I have tried except
>>> Mozilla, including Firefox 1.0.
>>>
>>> In my menu that is located http://www.schestowitz.com/Frames/bar.htm I am
>>> supposed to get text displayed when I hover over the images. In never
>>> comes up though.

>I tried debugging it. For some reason, Mozilla gets an 'undefined' value for
>document.layers and document.all.

Exactly. It doesn't support either the NN4 specific documen.layers nor
the IE4 (sbut supported for legacy reasons on IE5+ and Opera 7)
document.all
So the first line of your script
if (!document.layers && !document.all) return;
tells Mozilla not to bother.

Get rid of document.all and document.layers and use proper DOM methods
such as getElementsById() instead. These will work in IE5+, Mozilla,
Opera, Safari, etc. Dropping support for IE4 and NN4 is fine, it's
nearly 2005, and so what if these old browsers don't get a few
optional effects?

>At first I thought Mozilla disallows certain (non-secure) classes of Java,
>but ever since I gave up...

I don't see any Java on your page.

	Steve