Re: click-click-buuuuuzzzzz?

news.rcn.com wrote:

> Anyone know what these symptoms mean on startup of Windows 98  on a Compaq
> Presario 1020 laptop?  The splash screen shows with the rolling bar at the
> bottom and the rolling seems to go on and on but the start up goes nowhere
>
> Is this Windows looking for some critical file which has become corrupted
> or a hard drive failure as the sound of the symptoms suggest? I can boot
> to Dos and run scandisk or chkdsk without incident but cant get into
> windows or safe mode.

I have a Compaq Presario 1246 running Window$ 98. That start-up jam happens
to me as well once in a while. I always solve it by going into safe mode
and then shutting down. This somehow solves the problem.

Also to try: remove the battery for a while, leaving the computer completely
out of power.

In the worst case, you can back up all the files from DOS and then use the
Compaq quickrestore CD.

> There MAY be insufficient memory to run windows but
> woudl THAT give these symptoms?

No, unless you took some memory away. Even then, there's swap space...

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com