Re: click-click-buuuuuzzzzz?

"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
couor2$2sll$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:couor2$2sll$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Dennis Pogson wrote:
>
> > news.rcn.com wrote:
> >> Anyone know what these symptoms mean on startup of Windows 98  on a
> >> Compaq Presario 1020 laptop?  The splash screen shows with the
> >> rolling bar at the bottom and the rolling seems to go on and on but
> >> the start up goes nowhere
> >>
> >> Is this Windows looking for some critical file which has become
> >> corrupted or a hard drive failure as the sound of the symptoms
> >> suggest? I can boot to Dos and run scandisk or chkdsk without
> >> incident but cant get into windows or safe mode. There MAY be
> >> insufficient memory to run windows but would THAT give these symptoms?
> >
> > I would try a re-install of Win 98 before jumping to conclusions about a
> > hardware fault. It only takes about 25 minutes.
>
> What about data restoration? Customisation? Settings? It takes much longer
> to most.

Yes, a full restore of all software, data and a full re-customisation should
take about six months and there is no guarantee that you will not lose all
sorts of documents wihch certain programs store in all sorts of abstruse
places.

It might be slightly better to identify and possibly cure the problem rather
than go this route normally only advised by less knowledgeable (untrained)
technical support telephonists working from scripts.