Re: Graphics in Web pages

  • Subject: Re: Graphics in Web pages
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:02:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Nick wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I wanted to know if anybody has any good suggestions of any books
> or other resources that could teach me how to make good Web graphics
> and how to use them in HTML to make Web pages look good.
>
> When I say graphics, I mean GIFs and not any flash or anything like
> that.
>
> I am a PHP programmer and I know how to use HTML and CSS well, but
> I am horrible at making buttons, background images, logos etc. and
> I really don't know how to implement images into HTML to help make
> the Web page look good. Not only do I need to learn how to make the
> images but also how to put them into the HTML -- how it all works
> together well.
>
> Does anybody know of which software to use and good books that have
> good examples and so on?
>
> Please help, using graphics in my Web pages to make them look good
> is my missing ingredient.

To be absolutely honest (and not just lazy), you needn't do any
work on graphics. There are tools like the GIMP that do it all for you. Why
do I mention the GIMP with some confidence? Because I used Photoshop and
Paintshop before, but nothing compares to Script Fu which generates
beautiful banners, buttons, backgrounds, etc. See, for example:

http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Script_Fu/

There are also some nice menus that are GPL'd at:

http://www.e-lusion.com/design/menu/

I mention it only because I stubled across it yesterday.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com