Re: Windows media player

Martin Dawson wrote:

> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
> cofgtn$2g2c$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:cofgtn$2g2c$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk
>
>> Martin Dawson wrote:
>>
>> > HI I have a problem with windows media player, my operating system is
>> > xp and when the system starts up the media player comes up, I guess
>> > something is telling it to do this but I don't know where to find it.
>> > Can anybody help please, thanks, Martin.
>>
>> Try to look under Start -> All Programs -> Startup
>>
>> Is Media Player there? If not, there's a next level to check...
>

> HI I have looked in the startup and the Media Player's not in there,
> Thanks,   Martin.

Okay, now you might want to look in the registry (though I still can't
imagine what worm/program would want to start Media Player).

In earlier versions of Window$, you can run the command 'msconfig' and then
review everything that's going on. I think in XP there's a different way of
getting there.

If that isn't fruitful, you are down to 'regedit', I guess. Something _must_
be calling Media Player. The question is _what_, and how to disable it.

When Media Player opens, does it do anything? Does it attempt to connect to
some URL?

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com