Re: What Now? I ask

  • Subject: Re: What Now? I ask
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 16:07:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
swollenthumb wrote:

> It's funny, in a way that maybe Rod Serling would appreciate.  Almost
> two years ago I built a web site for my carpentry business. It's
> www.edswoods.com.

Looks nice. It gets what's needed across.

> The site pops up on the first page of ask.com when
> "carpentry home repair" is used for the search.

Several points:

 o ask.com is not a popular search engine. In fact, it barely even qualifies
as one.

 o the combination of three particular words is not as powerful as that of
one or two.

 o You probably target people around your area. Try to get listed in local
directories. Visitors from China or Florida would only consume bandwidth,
but nothing more.

> I have magnetic signs
> on my truck to direct local people to the site.

That's a good step. Also ensure you give them something on paper (a business
card perhaps). People have a short memory span.

> I get maybe 2 to 10
> visits per week.  To date, I have not received one call or email,
> except from friends and relatives.  I wonder, does this ever happen to
> people who invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in radio or TV ads...

It happens to some and it doesn't happen to others. If it never worked,
people would cease to do so or the price of advertising would suit the
demand.

> and of course, WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

You do nothing wrong, but the question is "What can you do beyond"?
Directories, mutual links, business cards and word of mouth help.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com