Re: Hack turns GIMP into Photoshop Look-alike

David Marrs wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I prefer the GIMP's UI. I used Photoshop and Painshop for years. That
>> wasted space at the background of the main window and the lack of context
>> (as menus are at the top) make the GIMP better in my eyes.
>>
> Well so do I, as it happens - to psp, at least. I've never used photoshop.
>

>>>I never understand the logic behind moving from a mature product like
>>>Photoshop to the GIMP when one /prefers/ Photoshop in the first place.
>>

>> It's free software. You need never pay for licences in the future. That's
>> one of the many advantages.
>>
> That's a negligible consideration if you're a professional artist or
> graphic designer. In fact, if I were a pro and needed pre-press
> capability, for example, then I'd migrate to photoshop /and/ buy a Mac
> to run it, if that's what I needed. (I know it's available for Win PC -
> just being hypothetical.)
>
> But actually, the point I was trying to make is that these people who
> complain about GIMP not behaving like Photoshop should simply be
> ignored. It's not improving the GIMP in any way to make it behave like
> Photoshop. "It doesn't work the same" is not a design consideration. Of
> course it doesn't work the same; it's not the same app! If they were to
> take the trouble to *learn* the GIMP first they might actually come to
> like or even prefer it. At least they would then be in a position to say
> how they think it can be improved.

When I started with the GIMP, I was very slow in orientating. Things like
"Hold down SHIFT to draw a line" were not natural to me because I had used
Photoshop and Paintshop beforehand. Now things have reversed. Photoshop
appears tendious, complicated, slow with a clumsy interface.

Unfortunately, artists are inclined to use Photoshop 'by default'. Usually
it is programmers like myself who end up using the GIMP to develop a Web
site. As a result, it's hard to find GIMP artists that make a strong
showcase.

> What really gets me is that these complainants are almost certainly
> crack users leeching off free software in the same way they leeched off
> Adobe. Because, if they'd actually paid £100s for the app and truely
> prefered it like they say they do, they'd need one really big incentive
> to then move to a less capable and less well supported equivalent. The
> only such incentive I can think of is full migration to Linux, but,
> given that GIMPshop is presently only available for Mac, I don't see how
> it applies.

It will soon be available for Linux and maybe Windows. Stability is an issue
however. Don't download it though! It is not the active development branch
and it will temper with your habits.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com