Re: Subdirectory indexing

  • Subject: Re: Subdirectory indexing
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:22:40 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Newbie wrote:

> I was wondering if it's possible to configure robots.txt or to add
> onpage googlebot meta data to allow the image googlebot to index a
> subdirectory but block it from indexing the parent?
>
> For example, I want googlebot-images to index .jpg files in:
> /thumbnails/pics/
> but I don't want it to index .jpg files in
> /thumbnails/
>
> Is this possible?

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a simple exercise in
robots.txt? You just deny access to /thumbnails/ and allow access to
/thumbnails/pics/. The robots should honour that. I don't know if
/thumbnail/pics/ will then be reachable by a spider, but deep linking might
help. Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant exactly.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com