Re: suse 9.3 vs 9.2

  • Subject: Re: suse 9.3 vs 9.2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 16:05:49 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Veritech wrote:

> i guessed as much, i can't blame em really
>
> even though they're a big company it would be bad to get sued for a
> product that you give away for free.
> Someone ought to tell all the makers of mp3 players too, and monitors, and
> cd burners, the list is endless.
>
> thanks
> "Paul F. Johnson" <paul@all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Veritech wrote:
>>> i was reading a preview of the new version of suse. the author said that
>>> novell had disabled mp3 support in the newer version. is this the same
>>> case for 9.2 or is it just a new "feature", lol.
>>
>> I have a feeling they're following Redhat's lead on that. Basically, if
>> it has the remotest chance of getting them into trouble in the US, it's
>> gone.
>>
>> It's the reasoning why RH won't bundle Mono as MS hold a number of
>> patents that Mono depends on and until they get a signed piece of paper,
>> it won't be included. Odd that they're including gcj...
>>
>> TTFN
>>
>> Paul

I don't think it should discourage anyone from upgrading. Nobody prevents
you from installing all the relevant pieces. Novell just don't want to be
responsible for supplying you with MP3 capabilities. As soon as you get the
box running, it is your own to bastardise.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com