Re: Waking Up Numb

  • Subject: Re: Waking Up Numb
  • From: "Tal" <goer2u4@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:47:10 +1000
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.sleep-disorder
What you're describing sounds like sleep paralaysis......which is a normal
part of REM sleep, but usually ends when you come out of REM - in some
people however, it can happen while they're awake.  Sleep Paralysis can
sometimes be associated with a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy.

Some people say they can snap themselves out of this state by rapidly moving
their eyes back and forth

--
Beth in Australia
--------------------------

FAQ for alt.support.sleep-disorder can be found here
http://talhost.net/sleep
Newsgroup Archives http://talhost.net/sleep/archives.htm
this site is a work in progress - feel free to submit info/articles

>I was about 16 when I initially found out that I was able to wake up while
> my body remained, in some sense, asleep. The experience was scary at the
> time, though ever since it has been somewhat humorous.
>
> Voluntary 'reproduction' of this situation is hard and this recurs maybe
> once a year or less. I presume it is possible owing to the fact that I
> feel
> rather Conscious while asleep.
>
> Allow me to explain this is more detail. I never found an explanation and
> nothing relevant comes up in search engines.
>
> I sometimes decide that I want to wake up, knowing that I am asleep. It
> might take a few seconds for my body to obey my brain. However, I was
> sometimes able to open up my eyes, fully aware of my environment, and yet,
> I was not able to talk or move. A really great effort could 'snap' me out
> of this state, but going back to sleep was the easier solution.
>
> Can somebody please explain? Should I provide more information? I do not
> consider this a problem, but I long for an explanation as I am very
> curious.
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy S. Schestowitz