Re: E2 plays MP3 for 17 hours straight!?!?

  • Subject: Re: E2 plays MP3 for 17 hours straight!?!?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 04:22:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Thursday wrote:

> I just read a review in an online magazine that claimed the E2 played
> MP3 continuously for 17 hours.

It depends on all kinds of conditions. They probably chose the ideal ones in
order to come up with this statement. One factor, just as an example:
sample rate of music affects CPU load, which affects battery consumption.

> Can anyone confirm such this?  Or at least confirm that it plays 8 hours
> continuously with 1/2 battery charge still left over?

Well, most MP3 players shut off the display throughout idle times, so maybe
it's possible. I think that at 10% or 20% (remaining) your Palm will force
shut-down to safely preserve data until the next charge.

> Also, does battery performance like this quickly decline with each
> recharge?

Quickly -- no, Decline -- yes. This depends on the quality (type) of the
battery. Palm supply excellent batteries, I must point out. Almost no
degradation. Based on personal experience...

Roy

PS - If you worry, buy a battery extender.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com