Windows Filesystem is Broken

  • Subject: Windows Filesystem is Broken
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 00:49:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.win2000
Arguably, the most  fundamental part of an operating system is file
handling. Windows beyrays me constantly and I seek solutions and
justification/defence in the name of Windows.

First of all, on a Windows 98 laptop, I was able to copy a file with one
unicode character within. I am unable to delete it though; scandisk cannot
help either. In Windows 2000 (a different machine), I have a filename whose
path is deep (long) and, again, I am unable to erase it and this causes a
great deal of clutter.

More annoyingly, I virtually spent 3 days trying to make a backup from one
Windows machine to another. It turned out that transfer protocols do not
cater for paths exceeding a certain size (what the heck??). This never ever
happened on old distributions of Linux that I use.

Can anybody advise? Am I being harsh? Windows has cost me a lot of time, so
how can I not rant about it? The new Microsoft mantra is "It just works",
but quite frankly, it often doesn't.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com