Re: text to copy out of html sides

  • Subject: Re: text to copy out of html sides
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 04:37:34 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
M. Lesaar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> there is a web page with links to other sides which include texts which I
> want to copy into word. There are quite a lot of links. Is there a
> possibility to get get the original texts without clicking on each of
> those links a copy the text manually?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Marcel

If you use Word, I assume that you work under Windows and you will lack
flexibility. You can install Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) to get Linux
functionality, which will enable you to do the following.

If the page is located at ADDRESS, run the following command:

wget -r -l2 -t1 -N -np -erobots=off ADDRESS

This assumes internal links, but can be modified as necessary (see 'man
wget')

You should then have a directory (or several directories) with all the text
(hopefully not hypertext, which complicates things). You can then append
the files using 'cat' (see 'man cat').

I am afraid that I see no simpler alternatives. If you don't perform this
task often, then it is not worth the investment.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com