Re: Windows Explorer won't keep the same view of the files/folders

  • Subject: Re: Windows Explorer won't keep the same view of the files/folders
  • From: "Martin Underwood" <me@privacy.net>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:09:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in message
d4enfp$1q4m$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk">news:d4enfp$1q4m$2@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk...
> Martin Underwood wrote:
>
>> Is there a way of setting Windows Explorer so it always displays
>> files/folders in a given folder in the same way - eg Details view.
>>
>> My experience is that it randomly sets the view back to Icons even after
>> it's displayed them as Details view on many previous occasions.
>>
>> Where is the View information for a folder saved?
>
> It would have been helpful had you mentioned which version of Windows you
> are on. In Windows 98 and 2000 you should look under "Folder Options" (the
> names are approximations as I am on Linux at the moment). This entry will
> probably be under "Edit" in Windows explorer, but it might be under
> "Tools".
>
> I think that the left-most tab has a button labelled "All folders like
> this
> one" (or some text to this effect). I am not sure about XP, but it
> probably
> (should have) remained more or less consistent. Needless to say, you need
> to view a folder in the way that you desire before hitting the button.

Sorry, yes I omitted the crucial information: Windows XP Home.

I know about Windows Explorer's Tools | Folder Options | View -> Apply to
all folders. What I was intending to say (and didn't elaborate
sufficiently!) is that even after doing this, the view option may
occasionally change back to Icon even after I've set it to Details and
applied that view to all sub-folders.

My experience with Windows Explorer in all versions of Windows (95, 98, Me,
NT, 2000 and XP) is that the view options of folders exhibit this random
tendency: you can open Explorer many times with the desired view and then
spontaneously it will revert to the Windows default of Icon and you have to
change it back and cascade to sub-folders again.