Re: Really simple question - smooth diagonals

  • Subject: Re: Really simple question - smooth diagonals
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 14:23:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.graphics.apps.gimp
Neal wrote:

> After reading through the last month's posts, I feel really stupid posting
> this, but I need to know and can't figure it out.
>
> Ok. Let's say I'm using MS Paint or something as awful. I draw a thick
> diagonal line. The edges are jagged, obviously. Now I look at a diagonal
> line done by someone who knows what he's doing, the edges appear smooth.
>
> I can see that the reason is the pixels on the edge are a blend of the two
> colors, and the balance of the blend puts the apparent dividing line a
> little more one way or another. But - and here's the question - how can I
> make a smooth diagonal line in Gimp?
>
> If there's a difference between drawing one and converting an existing
> image, I'd love to know that.
>
> Thanks in advance.

You have (at least) two options:

1) Smooth (blur) the image. This will be problematic if you draw a line over
a non-uniform colour (object).

2) When drawing the line using the SHIFT key, make sure you have a brush
type that's Gaussian-like (a circle fading towards its edges).

One last thing: please don't use Paint, ever. I have a colleague who works
on figures for academic papers, believe it or not, under Paint. The results
are horrendous and as a consequence, everyone suffers. Need I mention he
writes LaTeX in WordPad?

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com