Re: More than anything else, THIS promotes obesity

  • Subject: Re: More than anything else, THIS promotes obesity
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 02:49:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.support.diet
Andrew wrote:

> Soda pop. It's everywhere - every restaurant, movie theater, video
> store, social event, even in most schools although they're working on
> eliminating it. Just about any place that serves food will serve some
> form of soft drink. I say, we should stop wasting our precious time
> looking for diets or other cures for obesity such as drugs and surgery,
> and start educating people about avoiding soda pop and other obvious
> things that are clearly leading to our obesity epidemic.

Soda pop is just one among many different items that could be mentioned.
There are vending machines full of sweets everywhere we go, popcorn at the
theatre and junk food at schools, for example. The commonality across many
sites are soft drink and soda pops.

I don't think we can ever stop it as long as there is customer demand. The
opposition has to come from the cutomer, not the seller. I might as well
add that it would be nice if _healthier_ choices were offered too. Have you
ever seen salads or a piece of fruit at the theatres? (as ridiculous as it
sounds) There is a social norm which is to relish on unhealthy
(/enjoyable/) foods when you take on social /enjoyable/ activities.

Just my 2 cents to the pot,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com