Re: Google, MSN... and Linux

  • Subject: Re: Google, MSN... and Linux
  • From: Els <els.aNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 20:03:55 +0200
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Els wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> They (Google) already have the technology and news as feeds is the
>>> proof. They probably want people to continue checking SERP's and
>>> have adverts at the top or right-hand-side of the SERP's.
>>
>> Makes sense.
>>
>>> By providing feeds, they would 'kill' some Web traffic and they
>>> don't appear to have feeds in ads yet.
>>
>> Or even ads in feeds ;-)
>
> I spent a few seconds trying to defend my typo... so here are my
> lame excuses:
>
> 1) Some adverts will promote aggregators software/tools and will
> provide sample feeds.
>
> 2) Google will deliver a little 'RSS' icon at the side of the SERP.
> If you really, _really_ want to read some adverts, you can
> subscribe the feeds and enjoy yourself on a cold winter's day.

Well defended <g>

>>> They are patenting it at the moment IIRC.

>>> I know. I have done that for many months, but never clicked through for
>>> obvious reasons.
>>
>> I'll probably come off as lacking some kind of intelligence, but
>> which obvious reasons? It's not like you're clicking on ads when
>> you click on those feed items?
>
> I am thinking about target sites who will absorb this illusion that
> MSN are gaining strength.

Well, if lots of people /would/ use MSN because of their SERPs feeds,
it wouldn't be an illusion ;-)

> I already feel guilty about increasing
> MSN's brag-about statistics as regards total number of requests for
> SERP's.

I don't ever use MSN really. Only have feeds for the SERPs for my own
sites :-)

>>> I am waiting for Google to follow suit. A leader is less
>>> likely to bend than the tenacious monkey.
>>
>> Wondering which of the two you'd say is the leader. Do leaders
>> follow suit? Or is Google a tenacious monkey? :-)
>
> Good point. I had the search engines market in mind, not the O/S.

Me too. Why did you bring up the O/S now?

> Either way:
>
> 1) Microsoft offer lots of wasted traffic
>
> 2) Linux offers free software

I only know the second point is true. Not sure what you mean with the
first one :-)

--
Els                     http://locusmeus.com/
                             - Renato Russo -