Re: Traffic Counts on Alexa

  • Subject: Re: Traffic Counts on Alexa
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 08:24:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
Paul Burke wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2005 22:18:16 -0700, "Brijesh Kumar" <brijesh123@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>Hi Friends,
>>
>>I gone through the utilities of Alexa, the below are the few pointers
>>which shows how and why Alexa is useful for webmaster and seo.
>>
>>? Alexa is a partner of Amazon.com
>
> Correct, but so what ?

Agreed. Amazon.com have been extremely unpopular recently because of their
ridiculous patents.

>>? Alexa tool bar gives useful information of every site like customer
>>reviews, traffic rankings, website contact information. (Alexa.com's
>>traffic rankings are based on the usage patterns of Alexa Toolbar users
>>over a rolling 3 month period.)
>
> useful information ? Rubbish.

Traffic rankings rarely work (see my previous post on the topic) and to get
contact information (even telephone number), use whois.net.

>>? Alexa tell one more important thing regarding the comparison of the
>>traffic of your and your competitor website.
>
> again, rubbish.

Not from what I have seen. I came across sites that get merely any traffic,
but get good Alexa ranks due to a statistical sample that's too darn small.

>>? Alexa one URL also tells the broken links of your website.
>>(http://pages.alexa.com/associates/sitereport.html)
>
> So can many other programs that (and don't need spyware installed.)

Such as http://validator.w3.org/checklink which is superior to all others I
have come across and is not commercial.

>>? Alexa is a directory and its a good thing if your website is
>>submitted and indexed in the data base of Alexa.
>
> Rubbish. Complete tosh.

Who told you that? Any site can be submitted to Alexa. I know because I did
this 3 times and the process was automatic. It is not a moderated
directory. It gives it no credibility.

>>I think above are the enough reason to make Alexa important to stand in
>>the web market.
>>
>>Thanks &  Regards,
>>Brijesh Kumar

If you add a signature, pleasee precede it with '-- /NEWLINE' please.
Whenever you don't, people have to remave it manually.

The bottom line is that I view Alexa rank, but I also know how rubbish so I
take everything with a pinch of salt.

Roy

PS - Those bullet's 'sound' like they have been quoted off a self-promoting
Alexa FAQ page... I did some duplicates searches in Google, but couldn't
find evidence.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com