Re: Removing Windows Partition

Andreas Stieger wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Is there a fairly simple way of removing the Windows partition on this
>> machine and reclaim the space? That more-or-less empty partition takes
>> 66% of the total hard-drive volume and I have not even accessed it for
>> months.
>
> You can use fdisk to change the partition type to anything you like to
> mark it used by Linux. Then use fdisk.* to create a linux-type filesystem
> (ext2,ext3,reiserfs.. whatever) adjust /etc/fstab to reflect the changes.

Thanks a bunch, Andreas.

Your advice led me to taking a closer look at fstab, which revealed I was
using a reiserfs (never knew this before...). I did some reading and came
to the conclusion that an easy enough solution would be to use the Windows
partition as a storage area.

rfstool < http://p-nand-q.com/download/rfstool.html > is a tool which makes
it possible for me to now transfer files recursively from Linux to Windows.
This rids me from the need to use an extra server to achieve the same thing
(passing all files, rebooting into other partition, then refetching). This
has always been hard when handling gigabytes that did not fit in remote
servers. I am now a happy man!

Many thanks again,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com