Re: Newbie questions, how do I brouse the SD card on the Treo 650? How do I execute programs off of it

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:00:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> General Schvantzkoph wrote:
>>
>>> I got a Treo 650 a few weeks ago, this is my first Palm and I haven't a
>>> clue about how to do some very basic things.
>>>
>>> I have a 1G SD card. I copied a bunch of Ogg files to it along with an
>>> opensource Ogg player.
>>>
>>> 1) How do I browse the contents of the SD card? I can see the photos
>>> that I've snapped and stored on the card from the camera application but
>>> I don't see how to browse the general file structure.
>>
>> Install FileZ or one of the other file browsing applications that are out
>> there.
>>
>> http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/filez.shtml
>>

>>> 2) How do I execute an application stored on the card?
>>

>> Tap 'Home', then tap the little drop-down widget at the top-right (Palm
>> OS 5ish and earlier), choose the card at the bottom of the list.
>
> All this does is give me a blank screen. I put FileZ as well as the Ogg
> player here, the PalmOS doesn't seem to see anything. Both files have .prc
> extensions, do I need to enable something in order to be able to run them?

You haven't put any applications (PRC files) on the card in that case, which
is what you should expect unless you are aware of previous installations.
To install software (if you use a Mac/Windows machine) you can drag PRC
files from your filestore to the Palm Installation Tool. By dragging PRC
files into the region down the bottom which corresponds to the External
Card, you add applications to the card currently inserted (the 1 GB card
you have).

If you use an Open Source OGG Player, see their documentation to find out
how to send files to Palm memory. There are various ways in which you can
do this. In principle and under normal circumstances, the handheld will
only accept PRC and PDB files. The software that comes with the (free-ish)
Real Player allows you to send MP3 files to your memory, but it puts them
under /Audio rather than /Launcher which is where programs that you see and
use reside. To see the entire file structure and not just the (abstract)
contents of /Launcher, use FileZ.

Hope it helps, let me know if it doesn't,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com