Re: Running Firefox as default browser in KDE 3.2

  • Subject: Re: Running Firefox as default browser in KDE 3.2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:10:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.kde
Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> Mozilla has been my favoured browser for some time.  Now, as a result of a
> security update to Mandriva, it had to be uninstalled and I have Konqueror
> (O.K. 50% of the time) or Firefox.
>
> With Firefox set as my default browser, KDE tries to save Web pages to my
> tmp/ directory and open them from there.  This is rarely successful.  I
> don't know why KDE does it, unless it is to force users to adopt
> Konqueror.
>
> I think that I noticed  a while back, a page describing how to give any
> browser for privileges and like Konqueror and Mozilla.  Please, what is
> the method?
>
> TIA,
>
> Doug.

What steps have you followed in order to make Firefox (strictly) your
default browser? My experience with KDE 3.1 had led me to doing the
following:

-Set external browser in KMail to Firefox
-Set external browser in KNode to Firefox
-Set filetypes html and htm to be openable using Firefox (put Firefox at the
top without affecting alternative applications)

These pretty much cover all cases in my personal daily use of SuSE.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com