Re: Re-use of old boxes

  • Subject: Re: Re-use of old boxes
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 04:11:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
On Saturday 20 August 2005 22:18, Martin Gregorie wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 14:07:35 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I had Mandrake 9 running on a machine with a 133 MHz Pentium and about 32
>> MB of RAM. The experience is not terrible provided that you multi-task on
>> your desk, e.g. if you work on a laptop and occasionally want to run some
>> heavy process on a different CPU for a minute or two. Heavy distributions
>> with KDE won't be very responsive. It's a good time to consider
>> minimalist window managers, though it greatly depends what purpose the
>> computer will serve. Will it be a Web server? A tool for graphical work
>> (where thumbnails help)? A mail/browsing environment? A music player?
>>
>> Roy
>
> I currently have Fedora Core 1 installed as a server and running
> on a 128 MB P133 box. That works OK and is only obviously slow
> doing CPU intensive things like calculating an ssh key or gzipping
> a large file.

Yes, as long as it's not a user-facing, labour-intensive machine, it would
far more beyond tolerable. There is two much hardware lying around when it
has true potential for serving a purpose. Why buy a GBP 200 stereo when you
have a box with a 14 inch screen to display nice spectrum analyzers, manage
playlists and even be installed in the kitchen?

Roy S. Schestowitz        "No, I didn't buy that from eBay"
http://Schestowitz.com