Re: Adobe Reader and Yahoo Toolbar

On Sunday 21 August 2005 01:39, Mikkel Møldrup-Lakjer wrote:

> Adobe Reader wanted me to upgrade itself to 7.0 when it was launched
> within Firefox. When download finished and it asked me to authorise the
> upgrade, it tried to force me to install the Yahoo toolbar. I was
> surprised to learn that I cannot upgrade Adobe Reader without installing
> the Yahoo Toolbar. I don't want to do this, but now I have to say no to
> upgrading every time I use Adobe Reader. Quite annoying.
>
> This information was new to me. I hope I'm not dragging ageold news onto
> the street... Grateful for any comments (or solutions).
> Mikkel

Here is what it's all about:

http://www.rankforsales.com/news-bd/845-seo-oct-25-04.html

Here is a possible workaround:

http://malektips.com/adobe_reader_7_0009.html

> Adobe Reader wanted me to upgrade itself to 7.0 when it was launched
> within Firefox. When download finished and it asked me to authorise the
> upgrade, it tried to force me to install the Yahoo toolbar.

This is why I don't use Windows. The vendors play around with the user.

> the Yahoo Toolbar. I don't want to do this, but now I have to say no to
> upgrading every time I use Adobe Reader. Quite annoying.

Use an alternative like GhostView < http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/ >. I
rarely ever use Acrobat Reader, which is a tremendous resource hog. It
takes about 5-10 seconds on a modern machine to open a PDF for the first
time in a session. It then grabs memory and subsequently it takes just
several seconds to open PDF's in the current session. It only takes me a
couple of seconds to open PDF's with KGhostView, which is used as my
default PDF reader. Interaction is a snap and the coarser font rendering
does not bother me.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "The speed of time is one second per second"
http://Schestowitz.com