Re: Streaming audio using m3u playlist file

  • Subject: Re: Streaming audio using m3u playlist file
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 07:14:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
On Sunday 21 August 2005 04:46, Barry Koopersmith wrote:

> I created a webpage with this line of code:

> The referenced "Scenic-3songs.m3u" file contains this one line:
>
> http://www.thefireandreason.com/TFaRLive1.mp3
>
> Here is the webpage:
>
> http://thefireandreason.irbl.net/audio/TFaR_audio_streaming.htm
>
> When I view the webpage in Mozilla Firefox, Netscape or Opera, when I
> click on the link, it pops up the WinAmp mp3 player and it immediately
> starts streaming and playing the referenced 11 mb size mp3 file. When I
> view and click on the link in Internet Explorer (version 6.0), it pops
> up the WinAmp mp3 player but it does not play the mp3 file. When I view
> the html file locally on my computer in Internet Explorer and click on
> the link, it pops up WinAmp and plays the mp3 immediately.
>
> What code can I use that will stream the mp3 file in Internet Explorer
> on the website (as well as the other web browsers)?
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

I suspect that you need to configure Internet Explorer to pass control to
Winamp differently. It's natural to imagine that winamp.exe is passed some
extra arguments that tell it how to handle the input file (e.g. enqueue,
play). To say it differently, I don't think you should be dealing with this
at source code level unless there is some M$-specific hack, which would not
be valid HTML. This still doesn't explain why you get a different behaviour
when viewing the page locally. Does the MP3 file reside locally as well? I
assume not.

Try to change your filetypes in Windows and see if the default application
for opening MP3 files gets assigned different behaviours depending on where
it comes from.

It is also worth mentioning that by embedding the URL's in an
application-specific (Winamp) format, you might peril users who use other
players. XMMS playlists, for example, are constructed differently.

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Signature pending approval"
http://Schestowitz.com