Re: Posting to a web site

  • Subject: Re: Posting to a web site
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:49:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
_____/ On Tuesday 23 August 2005 17:27, [ishtar] wrote : \_____

> The company I work for has a small web team that is working on a
> knowledge base for my team.  My team includes 14 people and they all
> need to have the ability to post to the knowledge base.  All of this
> data is technical in nature so we use screenshots quite often.
>
> The test web site that our web team has come forth with is very
> cumbersome and not very easy to post to when screenshots are involved.
> I'm curious if there is a product out there that resolves this type of
> issue.  There needs to be an easy to use interface which allows us to
> easily copy and paste images into it and then simply post.  Currently,
> we have to write some text then click about 5 times just to upload the
> image to the server and another two to actually see it.  Is there a
> better way?

One possibility you have is to set up a Web server (restrict access by IP or
choose an obscure port number) and mount it so that it is visible to all
users who edit the pages. Then, all you need to do is drag and drop the
file/s to the server and link to it. Alternatively you can set up each
machine to act as a Web server.

A Wiki may be a good way of editing the data at ease, especially when some
informal intranet in hand. Even though I use PHPWiki, people seem to
recommend MediaWiki, so I suggest you look into it. I suppose it has some
rich integration of graphics too, but I am not entirely sure. Any Open
Source blogging tool which I am aware us suffers from this issue of
cumbersome image management.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Life is too short to proofread"
http://Schestowitz.com