Re: AdSense Context

_____/ On Thursday 25 August 2005 14:52, [www.1-script.com] wrote : \_____

> Mikkel Møldrup-Lakjer wrote:
>

>> Google's Adsense program is so unintelligent, I can hardly believe they
>> are
>> so proud of it. How can they call it a smart system?
>
> Well, I don't think they need to be defended, but I would like to say
> couple words for AdWords (no pun intended):
>
> Considering other options you have (like, *MANUALLY* matching your ads)
> their ability to grasp some sensible meaning of the page is simply
> amazing. Although in a large system like this you can naturally expect
> some holes and lapses in judgment, on the grand scheme of things it saves
> webmasters tons of time that would otherwise be spent on ad matching.

To say a little more...

As I think about it again, they do some 'caching' on the matches. New pages
are more likely to be assigned public announcements, yet once a suitable ad
gets assigned to the page, it is likely to repeat itself.

Why am I mentioning this? Because it implies they do not necessarily bind
adverts on-the-fly. They have a mechanism for saving assignments. Why not
take the extra step and run some smarter algorithm off-line? I am sure
Google have some Ph.D.'s with background in language semantics. If not,
there will be plenty that are willing to join the club.

> On your 'beauty queen' example: watch what kind of traffic you will be
> getting from G and other engines. I can bet considerable amount of traffic
> will come to you actually looking for Danish Royal family because of the
> keyword 'queen', so the ads will be relevant to large percentage of your
> visitors. Those may not be the visitors you want, but you always get some
> amount of 'noise' traffic on a site, and how great it is to be able to
> make some $ on that noise traffic!

Irrelevant ads damage the reliability of the content nonetheless. We may not
realise this, but many visitors do not even know what AdSense mean. To
them, Google = that box that "goes to the Internet". The visitor will
assume that the Webmaster manually selected or hand-coded the adverts. As
the link I sent to Mikkel shows, these can sometimes be offensive if not
sickening. They can definitely lose you visitors or have them discard a
page that has good and accurate content.

> And it's only a matter of time before they will master relevance for other
> languages.

Klingon too?

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Have you compiled your kernel today?"
http://Schestowitz.com