Re: GNOME Resolution in SuSE 9.3

_____/ On Thursday 25 August 2005 17:18, [Jess] wrote : \_____

> Hi Roy:
>
> Thanks for the help. I followed your suggestion and replaced this
> section of my original XORG.CONF ...
>
>    SubSection "Display"
>      Depth      15
>      Modes      "1280x1024"
>    EndSubSection
>    SubSection "Display"
>      Depth      16
>      Modes      "1280x1024"
>    EndSubSection
>    SubSection "Display"
>      Depth      24
>      Modes      "1280x1024"
>    EndSubSection
>    SubSection "Display"
>      Depth      32
>      Modes      "640x480"
>    EndSubSection
>    SubSection "Display"
>      Depth      8
>      Modes      "1280x1024"
>    EndSubSection
>
> WITH THE FOLLOWING...
>
>    SubSection "Display"
>         Depth 24
>         Modes "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624"
>         "800x600"
> "720x400" "640x480"
>         EndSubSection
>
> But after logging out and back in, there was still only the choice of
> 1024x768 in GNOME Control Center.
>
> I am running a nVidia 6600 PCIE video card using the nVidia provided
> drivers if that matters.
>
> Thanks,
> Jess

Have you checked your X log files? I can't point you to their direct
location, but try /var/log .

You will then be able to view the 'fallbacks' of X and the reason it refuses
to support a higher screen resolution. When I shoved the Display SubSection
that I proposed into Ubuntu's the X configuration script, I did not have
the choice to change to a higher resolution, but X was told to try to use
the highest resolution possible, falling back each time it fails. So, it
might behave differently depending on what minitor is plugged in.

Let me know how it goes...

Roy S. Schestowitz        "In hell, treason is the work of angels"
http://Schestowitz.com