Re: Thunderbird and KDE

__/ On Friday 26 August 2005 09:43, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> / On Friday 26 August 2005 08:55, [Blinky the Shark] wrote : \
>>
>> I tried it a couple of hours ago for the first time. I feel your pain.
>> Hopefully it does not consume much space. It sure was time-consuming.
>>
>> The conclusion: never download programs that are called after an
>> animal, e.g. eMule, KBear, BonzyBuddy (if that counts as an animal)...
>
> Speciesist!  ;)
>
> As for BonzyBuddy, I can't say that I've ever heard of a bonzi.
>
>> ...with the exception of the Firefox suite...
>
> Of course.
>
> And Mozilla.
>
> But no exception for Thunderbird, from what I've seen/heard.

It disappointed me only once, but it was partially my fault. I was grafting
mail from one location to another and the total volume of mail was greater
than the space available on the partition.

Luckily I mirror my hard-drive once a week, so none was lost. I wonder if
other mail clients run a check for free space and prompt the user to avoid
disaster. Maybe they just change the pointers to the physical data, but I
like to keep my folders hierarchically sorted in directories and good-ol'
_open_ MBOX format, in which case movement of mail involved plenty of
change at filesystem level.

>>> The only thing I've seen with the version I have <clickety> (0.88.3)
>>> is that once in a while I'll come back to it after not using it for a
>>> long time, and it will still show as connected when it's really not.
>>> That just requires me to click Disconnect before hitting Connect, so
>>> it's not really even an aggravation for me.
>>
>> I only use it to upload one file at a time (a compressed archive). It
>> has bad handling of recursive operations and it doesn't seem to be
>> maintained anymore. I could be wrong...
>
> I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but there *was* an
> issue where it would behave badly if you uploaded multiple files in one
> action and told it to overwrite all.  I reported that (so did others)
> and it was fixed...er...probably three months ago.
>
> I see at least one of the devs in the help forum here, and the first
> post of his I looked at is dated today.
>
> http://fireftp.mozdev.org/forum.html/nowrap

That is good news. Give it a few more months and we'll have a reliable
tabbed FTP client. I love JRE!

>>> Try it?  I've used it every day for three years.  :)
>>
>> As an FTP client, that is. Maybe I misunderstood you.
>
> Oh!  No, I lost track of the conversation.  But those little mental
> vacations can really pick up your energy late at night!  :)

I thought it was Aussie... no idea why. Must be the west coast, but I doubt
it... maybe it's just a reference to booze and you are in fact English.

>>> No such animal.  KDE 3.1.3 / Konq 3.1.4.
>>
>> Odd... I am fairly sure it's still alive in 3.4. Even with the same
>> default settings and colours...
>
> Tools
>   Run Command...
>   Open Terminal
>   Find File
>   Execute Shell Command

I have about 7 or 8 menu entries and I use KDE 3.1.1 on SuSE 8.2.

http://www.schestowitz.com/Family_Photos/Webcam/2005/07/10072005/images.html

>>> I must have a crippled trial copy.  ;)
>>
>> have you got Pixie Plus (if not, download it). File -> Make Web Image
>
> Never heard of it.  (And no real need for gallery makers; I've only
> done one gallery (for a friend), and I used perl.

"Used" or "re-used". I'm hoping the latter...

Roy S. Schestowitz        "This sig seemed like a good idea at the time..."
http://Schestowitz.com