Re: My school accepts Linux but::;

__/ On Saturday 27 August 2005 22:56, [Ellen Chaimowitz] wrote : \__

> I attend RPI and the official operating system for students is Windows
> however, we do have the option to use Linux and in fact many comp.sci
> students do use Linux. Our network support group will assist in
> installing Linux on a student's machine, and will also offer support
> with general networking issues.
>
> However, using Linux, even in what is mostly an engineering school is
> sometimes counterproductive.
> For example, I am required to use MapInfo, PDMWorks and SolidWorks
> along with Matlab and the only program which works with Linux is
> Matlab. As a side note,the Linux version of Matlab runs better than the
> Windows version but public opinion has the Solaris version being the
> best. This is lunchtime talk FWIW.

I have argued in that past that the Linux version of MATLAB gets neglected.

> I've read the various school threads and I see many digressions and
> misinformed people.
> I use Linux, I know it's faults as well as it's strengths and if it
> were up to me I would switch every single college in the USA to Linux
> in a heartbeat. However, it's not up to me and the powers that run
> these places insist upon using Windows and to a lesser degree Apple
> products.
> It's important to understand that this is not due to Windows or OSX
> being a superior operating system but by virtue of the applications
> that need to be run.

Bollocks. This means you haven't tried to find the corresponding solutions
for Linux. I used to think like you, but was willing to broaden my scope
and find that the contrary is true. Much of the stuff you can do in Linux
you cannot do on other platforms. Disagree? Learn Linux, then come back and
discuss.

> Wine/winex/Crossover-Office/Vmware/Win4Lin and the like are crutches
> for a student. Most programs I have tried with these programs, and I
> have used all of them except Crossover and Vmware, do not work very
> well and require extra setup and so forth.

Emulators? Why? Don't you know that you can do everything in Linux? That's
the equivalent of moving to a foster family and talking to the biological
parents on the phone 24/7.

> When I have real Windows already on my laptop, why should I use a dual
> boot system unless I am a comp.sci student who is learning about Linux?
>
> IOW why should I have to switch back and forth between Linux and
> Windows and in effect maintain 2 systems when I can do it all with
> Windows and I can't with Linux?
> Additionally why should I waste valuable disk space as well?

Don't. Double your hard-drive space. Erase Windows. I wiped the Windows
partition (installed by IT support) because it was never used. I now have
two Linux partitions and 3 GB of Windows O/S bloat is gone. Good riddance.
If you keep feeding on the mother's throat pouch, how will you ever leave
the nest? Be bolder.

> Even the comp.sci students at RPI use Windows in one capacity or
> another because Linux does not support all the applications they need
> to run.
> I have been at RPI for a year now, going on my second year and I
> haven't met a single undergraduate student who has a Linux only system.
> It's always either Linux and Windows or pure Windows.
>
> In closing, it would be nice to have an all Linux laptop, really it
> would, but unfortunately I would fail most of my courses if I did that
> because I would not be able to do the work due to the applications
> required not working with Linux.
>
> Sincerely: Ellen Chaimowitz

I sure hope it's no flatfish.