Re: How hot should a hard disk get?

  • Subject: Re: How hot should a hard disk get?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:01:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
__/ On Sunday 28 August 2005 18:47, [Philip Herlihy] wrote : \__

> I've put a new Seagate 40Gb disk into a rather nasty little case, with not
> much room for the disk to "breathe", although nearby surfaces are
> (conductive) metal.  It's getting very hot during an installation (and
> it's
> been running all day).  So hot that if it was any hotter I wouldn't want
> touch it.  As hot as a recently made mug of coffee - stimulating on the
> hand which holds it but not uncomfortable.
>
> Is this normal?  If not, what would cause it?  I noticed the previous disk
> was also pretty hot (um...) just before it conked out.  Ooo..er....

If you cannot fry eggs on your hard-drive, you know something has gone amiss
and your hard-drive does not perform properly. Hard-drives should be able
to endure high temperatures unlike processors that can melt if you do not
provide them with a functional fan.

I remember quite well that my friend could not even /touch/ his hard-drives.
He has this arrangement whereby he shelves the hard-drives, sliding them in
and out depending on who uses the machine. I have never heard of an
overheated hard-drive, but I have seen a hard-drive explode... I was about
14 when I mistakenly did this... never mess with the screws while the
hard-drive is spinning. Smoke of death...

Roy S. Schestowitz        UNIX: Because a PC is a terrible thing to waste
http://Schestowitz.com