Re: Tungsten C card as backup

  • Subject: Re: Tungsten C card as backup
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:24:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [ANDERS FLODERUS] on Monday 29 August 2005 18:13 \__

> "Victor Roberts" <xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:23:42 GMT, "ANDERS FLODERUS"
>> <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>>When I bought a Tungsten C, I wanted to use its SD card as backup
>>>media for my Windows XP files. If possible just by copying some
>>>folder trees with assorted files, if nessecary putting them all in a zip
>>>file and save it.
>>>
>>>I read somewhere, I do not remember where that if you save files
>>>to the main memory, their type must match some installed application.
>>>If you save files to the memory card, there is no check.
>>>
>>>When I try to save a .txt-file to the card, I am told that I can not do
>>>this because there is no matching application. As I understand this, it
>>>is double fault: Address Book and Memo Pad can handle .txt-files.
>>>The card should handle any file type.
>>>
>>>So I have some questions:
>>>1) How do I save .txt files?
>>>2) How do I save .zip files?
>>>3) How do I save a file of any type?
>>>4) How do I save a folder tree with assorted files?
>>>
>>>If anybody could tell me how, I would be very grateful.
>>
>> Are you trying to use the hotsync application to save these
>> files? If not, how are you trying to save them on the SD
>> card?
>>
>> I just put the SD card into the card reader connected to my
>> laptop and copy over files of any type. As far as the laptop
>> is concerned it does not know anything about which file
>> types are have patching Palm applications and which do not.
>> I now place txt files on a Documents folder, but I have also
>> placed them in the root directory of the card.
>>
>> --
>> Vic Roberts
>> Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.
>
> Yes, I tried hotsync. I suppose there would be no problem if I
> got a card reader but I was hoping I could do without moving
> a card to and fro.
>
> Anders

I don't have a LifeDrive, but I once heard that there is a file transfer
utility (called File Transfer perhaps?) that would allow you to just toss
whatever you please onto the SD card via USB. To send text files to your
Palm and have them readable, use iSilo or similar conversion/reader-like
applications.

I have seen USB 'heads' that can have SD cards mounted onto them. Perhaps
this is what Victor was referring to, but either way, equip yourself
properly for a painless and rapid procedure of backup.

All the best,

Roy S. Schestowitz        "Turn up the jukebox and tell me a lie"
http://Schestowitz.com